Saturday, October 4, 2014

Medicine + Technology

Hi everyone, today I’m going to write about a very interesting topic related with technology and medicine at the same time… Do you know something about Teletón? Well, this is a foundation dedicated to help child and teens between 0 and 24 years who have any motor disability, for neurological, muscular or osseous causes. In many cases, prosthesis is needed to replace an arm, a hand, a leg, because some illnesses produced the absence of any of them.


In the same way, an investigation team from United States, created a prosthesis made by 3D printer called “Cyborg Beast”, and Wladimir Silva, a Chilean teen, who has the Poland Syndorme and goes to Teletón, was the first person with this kind of prosthesis in Chile for his hand, but four more patients are going to receive this kind of prosthesis in this same foundation. 


Teletón with the North American team, are going to start an investigation with them for demonstrate the functionality and correct use of Cyborg Beast. I think these kinds of technology are really good! Because Cyborg Beast prosthesis are made with plastic similar to the “Legos”, and obviously are cheaper than metal prosthesis. For example metal hand prosthesis cost U$4,000, but the prosthesis of Wladimir cost U$25, so the access is easier for people who don’t have much money! And they are lighter too. 

2 comments:

  1. Is really awesome, how the tecnology helps the people to progress and helps in their lives.
    PD i love u

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read the new in facebook and in lun. It's a very interesting topic, in personal I don't like "teleton" but I like this special history

    ReplyDelete